Barnes ancestors lived in County Offaly during the 1800s,( previously called County Kings) in the heart of the Irish Midlands, but the family most likely originated in Scotland, townland unknown. By the late 1800s to early 1900s most of the family emigrated from Ireland to New York City, where they settled in a few of the boroughs, and also surrounding states.
1786 – 1866
Sometime in the early to mid 1800s John1 Barns\Barnes settled in the Irish Midlands after emigrating from Scotland. Very little is known about him at this time. Nothing is known of his marriage.
Death Certificate of John1 Barns. Source: Deaths Registered in the District of Ballybritt in the superintendent Registrar’s District of Roscrea in the County of Kings Ireland.
1. No. 62
2. Date and Place of Death: June 4 1866, Aughadoughlass, Coolderry
3. Name and Surname: John1 Barns
4. Sex: Male
5. Condition: Widower
6. Age at last Birthday: 80
7. Rank, Profession or Occupation: Laborer
8. Certified Cause of Death, and Duration of Illness: Mysipelas [Erysipelas] one week not certified no Medical Attendant
9. Signature, Qualification and Residence of Informant: John2 Barns Present at the Death, Aughadoughlass
10. When Registered: June 10 1866
11. Signature of Registrar: Mary Woods, Registrar
(Record received from Irish Midlands Ancestry, Tullamore, Offaly, Ireland, August 2005)